Thursday, March 4, 2010

Kilmalkedar.....


Spring has arrived!!! The weather is still on the chilly side, but that doesn't matter when the days are dry, and with clear skys and good light thrown in the mix Kerry is the place to be. Another jaunt to West Kerry with camera in hand where I called into Kilmalkedar Monastery. This monastery, founded in the seventh century is home to the ruins of a church, graveyard and some pre-Christian artifacts.

The twelfth century church was built in Irish Romanesque style, typical of the architecture of monastic settlements of the time. Note the tree bowing to the westerly winds from The Atlantic.


The settlement photographed from the west.


Pre-Christian Ogham stone on the grounds of the church.


Pre-Christian sun-dial . About 4.30pm.......

1 comment:

  1. Your photos are Fabulous! Here & on FB reg. I remember when you first brought over a fancy camera to the Shambles, many years ago. You've come a long way. Great fun stuff for others to see. When I would miss Ireland, I would go thru the 1000s of my own old pics & get sad or happy, now I can go thru your's too & they're all fresh & yet familiar to me. Thank you for sharing & making this viewing possible.

    ReplyDelete